San Antonio Patriot Guard Riders Up Coming Missions.
Go to Missions to find out more info on any missions below.

3x5 ft Motorcycle Flag Mounting

sgtmack
Site Admin
Site Admin

3x5 ft Motorcycle Flag Mounting

Post by sgtmack » 08 Jul 2016, 17:51

I have seen several different Trailer hitch mounts used that can fly anywhere from 1 to 3 flags at a time, also saw on Facebook that someone had a mount that looked like it was mounted near the passenger pegs where they could fly a 3x5ft flag on each side of the rider. Only a few have mounts that mount directly to the luggage rack that were personally made.

Since some of us do not have a trailer hitch but we do have a passenger backrest and luggage rack. This is where you can fly a 3x5ft US Flag. In the SA PGR there has been a design passed around that uses about 2 feet of about 1-1/2-in Dia PVC sch 40 pipe cut in 3 pieces (2 about 6in and 1 about 12in piece and can be trimmed down to what size works for your bike) glued or screwed together using a 1-1/2-in Dia PVC sch 40 tee. Assembled in the shape of a T. Nice thing about this design is the cost is low and easy to build and mount with this setup. All the things needed can be found at any Lowes or Home Depot. They do have some flag poles that are metal or wood there that are about 6ft long that fit nicely inside of the PVC pipe. What I did was got the flag pole I was going to use and took it over to see which pipe size fit the best. (NOTE: Sch 40 has a thick wall and is white while Sch 80 is gray)

Now mounting can be done anyway you want as long as it is secure enough to handle wind speeds up to about 45 mph and a few time higher. Some people have used multiple tie-wraps, Worm Gear Clamps, Bolted Clamps, or U-bolts or straps to secure the PVC T to the backrest and luggage rack. The PVC and clamps can all be painted to any color you want. After you have the mounting bracket installed its time to work on the flag pole.

The other thing is to get is a pole that is strong and fits inside the PVC without to much extra room. If you get a thin walled metal pole you may want to look at putting a dowel rod in it to strengthen it. You may also want to make sure it is not to tall as to hit the top of your garaged door when pulling into a garage. You can then drill a hole though the PVC Pipe and Flag pole to secure the pole. Just do not do it really close to the top of the PVC pipe. About halfway down would be a good placement. Put a Bolt or round or square wire lock pin into the hole drilled through both to secure the pole and allow for easy removal when needed. Now that you have the bracket mounted and the flagpole mounted its time to think about attaching the flag to the pole.

Again I have seen different ways to attach the flag to the pole using worm gear clamps holing a ring or eye bolts with a Snap Hook Carabiner attached to the flags grommets. I have also seen just tie wraps used too. As you can see there are many different items you can come up with.

For me I found a flag on amazon that stated it was for high winds and so far it has held up good up to 70 mpg during a mission from Seguin to Ft Sam on I 10 where the thin ones were starting to fray at that speed.

Last thing to think about is a way to roll up and secure or store the flag between missions.

I hope to get some pictures to post on here of the many different ways people have mounted their 3x5 flags to help give others an Idea of what they might want to do. If you have any other designs to share please reply to this topic to help others and please provide pictures.